quinta-feira, 20 de fevereiro de 2014

Tonight's entry will be rather short. There is a storm coming toward our area; it will hit us quick and hard.

Of course I am not terribly concerned about a storm. I've weathered several, some snowy, some rainy, and even a few tornados within sight of the house. My daughter usually sleeps through them. What concerns me is not even for myself. I am thinking about those who are not ready, who do not think the storm will touch them, or those who believe that they can stand up to the coming winds, put up their hands, and watch as nature's torment plays the possum's game before them.

Many of you know that I am a loyal fan of Star Trek; I put on that hat even in class, where, if my students perform well on a major test, I teach a class day in my costume / uniform. What you do not know is that I also have a fondness for quotes and Star Trek mythology. So here is a little tale I took from Kahless, with a few changes for grammar, a faulty memory, and suspense:

... A great warrior once looked out the walls of the city and saw a great storm coming. He decided that he, with all his might, could break the storm and defeat it. So, he left that evening with only a spear and his armor, telling all who watched him that he would bring the storm back to the city on its knees. The sun went down, and the storm passed. The next day the people of the city brought the warrior's body back to the main square where they buried it...

The moral of this story - you can stand bravely, and you can stand proudly; you cannot stand against the wind.

I invite you to ponder this thought, and in the meantime, I wish you all a good night and an excellent day tomorrow!

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário